Braille Silver Dollars

Sometimes you come across something cool and relevant to your work. I couldn't resist getting a couple of the new Louis Braille silver dollars. They have an image of Louis Braille (this is his bicentennial year) and actual raised dots (for the letters BRL which is the code for Braille) on the back of the coin.

IMage of Louis Braille Silver Dollar, front and back
The National Federation of the Blind convinced the federal government to have the U.S. Mint strike and sell these Louis Braille Silver Dollars, and some of the money goes to supporting Braille literacy.

I've been using a Morgan silver dollar from the 19th century when I referee soccer games each fall: this September I plan to surprise the kids with a Braille silver dollar!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vinod Sena in memoriam

Skoll World Forum: My Annual Heart-Mind Feast

Robin Seaman, Agent of Inclusion